Principal Weekly Letter
January 10, 2017
Happy New Year to all of our families. We are very excited to be back and looking forward to the second part of our school year. We are gearing up for a very busy time of the year with the many projects, assignments and trips teachers have planned for our students.
A reminder about arriving to school on time:
Here are many of the reasons why being on time is IMPORTANT and NECESSARY and NON-NEGOTIABLE.
- Every minute counts at school- and the morning sets the learning tone for the day for students.
- The entire class deserves to have NO DISTRACTIONS of someone entering the room late.
- Your child does not have to feel embarrassed or upset that he/she is late.
- Your child does not miss very important instruction.
Latenesses are recorded. Middle and High Schools look at ATTENDANCE RECORDS and the numbers of late arrivals can impact your child’s chances of acceptance to the school of his/her choice.
Have you tried:
- Going to bed earlier- studies show that children in elementary and middle school need minimally 9 hours of sleep a night.
- Stopping technology at least 2 hours before bed- the light from computer screens is too stimulating.
- Waking up at least 30 minutes earlier.
- Preparing backpacks, laying out clothes, and organizing all school materials the night before.
Family Friday – Come and visit your child’s classroom this Friday, January 13, 2017 at 8:30 am. Grades PK – 5.
SPIRIT WEEK! We are CELEBRATING SCHOOL SPIRIT WEEK from January 23-27. The activities of School Spirit Week lead up to our HUGE Pep Rally and Homecoming Game with IS289 on January 27. Grades K-8 will be involved in SPIRIT WEEK; it is so much fun to celebrate being part of this community.
1/23/17 Pajama Day – wear your warm and comfortable pajamas
1/24/17 Twin Day – dress alike with a friend (s)
1/25/17 Hat Day – Wear a goofy hat or just your favorite hat
1/26/17 Wacky Tacky Day – Mix match your clothing
1/27/17 School Spirit Day – Wear your school T-shirt or sweater
PA Sponsored Hot Sale
Lunar New Year Celebration – All are invited to attend our celebration and Dragon Dance on January 27, 2017. The festivities will start at 8:30 am with a breakfast and the always fun Dragon Dance.
Saturday Test Prep Academy will focus on getting our students familiar and comfortable with the format of the state exams. The Saturday Test Prep Academy will consist of two cycles, ELA and Math. Permission slips will be sent home at the end of the month.
ELA – 2/25, 3/4, 3/11, 3/18, 3/25
Math – 4/1, 4/8, 4/22, 4/29