Sunday, March 29, 2015
March 23, 2015
LATENESS. For many families lateness is never an issue. However, we have a number of families that do send/bring their children to school late on a consistent basis. Late means any time after 8:20. THIS IS PROBLEMATIC.
Here are many of the reasons why being on time is IMPORTANT and NECESSARY and NON-NEGOTIABLE.
1. Every minute counts at school- and the morning sets the learning tone for the day for students.
2. The entire class deserves to have NO DISTRACTIONS of someone entering the room late.
3. Your child does not have to feel embarrassed or upset that he/she is late.
4. Your child does not miss very important instruction.
Latenesses are recorded. Middle and High Schools look at ATTENDANCE RECORDS and the numbers of late arrivals can impact your child’s chances of acceptance to the school of his/her choice.
We are going to hold a workshop for those of you who consistently send/bring your children to school late. We are happy to HELP. Have you tried:
1. Going to bed earlier- studies show that children in elementary and middle school need minimally 9 hours of sleep a night.
2. Stopping technology at least 2 hours before bed- the light from computer screens is too stimulating.
3. Waking up at least 30 minutes earlier.
4. Preparing backpacks, laying out clothes, and organizing all school materials the night before.
Please help us get all students to school on time because late students disrupt their own education and the education of the other students in the class.